- Ports welcome the Government acknowledgement of the success of the UK’s major ports.
- We particularly welcome recommendations to enable more port investment that boost UK’s ability to trade with the world post Brexit and grow jobs for coastal communities.
- Setting a long-term vision for the UK’s vital maritime sectors is a positive step forward and we look forward to working with Government on the all-important implementation.
The UK Major Ports Group (“UKMPG”) welcomes the Government’s Maritime 2050 Strategy. The Strategy lays out the vital role that the maritime sectors, including our ports, play in the UK economy and all of our lives today. Importantly, UKMPG welcomes the forward focused, pro-investment approach of the Strategy to infrastructure development and innovation.
The Strategy highlights how ports handle 95% of the UK’s trade in goods. It sets out how the sector has successfully adapted over time to continue to enable UK industry, secure our supplies of everyday essentials like food and energy. It also highlights how our largest ports have continued to invest heavily in the UK, attracting funds from around the world to develop our global gateways.
Looking forward UKMPG particularly welcomes recommendations that improve conditions for trade and job boosting investment, as well as driving innovation and connectivity such as:
- Establishing Port Economic Partnerships;
- Reviewing the Ports National Policy Statement and considering publishing a policy statement indicating a presumption of support for port-centric developments;
- A long-term commitment that all commercially available land around UK ports will be in use or have a clear plan for future use;
- Considering the potential for key freight routes to boost trade connectivity; and
- Proposals to support the digitization of ports and a maritime innovation hub at a UK port.
The UK Major Ports Group is the trade association representing most of the larger commercial ports in the United Kingdom. It has nine members, who own and operate over 40 ports, accounting for 75% of the total tonnage handled in UK ports.
For further information contact:
Tim Morris, Chief Executive, UK Major Ports Group
Tel: 07387 091 407